Raising awareness of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act of 2010

January 4, 2012

The Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act of 2010 is effective as of July 1, 2011. The law states that every single-family home in California, with an attached garage, fireplace, or a fossil fuel-burning heater/appliance must install a carbon monoxide detector. The same requirement for multi-unit residences will be effective on January 1, 2013. The install must be consistent with building standards applicable to new construction for the relevant type of occupancy. Fire officials suggest installing the detectors in a central location outside each sleeping area, as well as on each level of the home.

Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal are burned. The detectors will alert residents of the presence of Carbon Monoxide.Property owners have a responsibility to comply with codes and safety precautions. If they do not they are held accountable for any harm caused by their negligence. Such negligence could lead to a lawsuit as it did for a landlord in Ohio. He faced four counts of wrongful death when tenants in a building he owned died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Those lives could have been saved with a quick installation of a carbon monoxide detector, in which the responsibility lies with the homeowner.

It is also important to stay up to date on recalls and malfunctions of detectors. Our firm stays informed through the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. In 2008, The Maple Chase Co.The effect of the poisoning can take place quickly; if your detector is malfunctioning the effect could be deadly. It is our goal to raise awareness on new laws, as well as keep the public safe by informing you of preventative measures as well. In this case understanding Carbon Monoxide and the dangers lurking around it is a must.

Carbon Monoxide is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that is often referred to as the silent killer. Moderate symptoms include:

  • Severe headache
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Fainting
  • Mental confusion

Arm your family with the protection of the detector, as well as the knowledge of the symptoms. If you or a loved one has suffered an injury due to a malfunctioning carbon monoxide detector, you should consult a San Diego product defects attorney.